Saturday 15 February 2014

Kit build number 2 - Getting started...

Hi thanks for visiting my blog.  After completing a kit build Les Paul with my daughter a friend of ours asked if I could build a kit as surprise for her husband so this is the story of the 'Andy's Special'.

To start we had to decide which kit to go for, after some thought my friend opted for this one, a solid body with dual cut away and fixed neck.  This particular one, the TCPC-60, was bought from Amazon for about £140 and as standard it didn't come with any assembly instructions.

It has a carved basswood body with a flame maple veneer on top.  As you can see the neck socket, pick up cavities come pre-routed however I'll need to work out the positioning for the tune-o-matic bridge and string anchor posts.  The neck is maple with rosewood fingerboard and the electrics are cheap and cheerful as you would expect from a kit that cost less than £150.  The vol/tone components came pre-wired and had lots of crappy dry joints so I stripped it apart.  I also replaced the 0.047uF green hornet capacitors with some 0.022uF polypro capacitors.  I've used these before and they sound much than better with PAF style humbuckers.

Anyway best get started...


The first thing I did was mark out the neck position so that everything will line up properly when the neck gets glued in later on.


When I marked the neck position I noticed that there was no wire hole through to the pick up switch cavity, two minutes with a drill soon fixed that!


I then put masking tape down and drew lines matching the neck taper.  Then I measured from the nut to the 12th fret and doubled this to work out where the bridge needs to go.  Then moved the bass side back 3 degrees as per the Gibson bridge positions specs to allow for intonation adjustments.  The anchor was also positioned behind the bridge as per the Gibson specs.




So this is how it should all look, next job is to get the post holes drilled and then we can add some colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment